Wednesday, January 30, 2013

SNAP Week 4 Day 4

$27.48......we did not spend any money today : )

Left for the week : $27.48

This was a weight watcher's meeting morning.  I lost 1 pound.  Does not sound like much, but it is the right direction.  I just think of it like a pound of meat, or a pound of potatoes, or a pound of flour.  Each pound represents positive choices, good decisions and a healthier me.  I did not veer off the path too much!  Frank has been losing weight over the last several weeks also.  Lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle. They say that is how we should look at eating and food choices.  Not just for today or for tomorrow, but for our life. 

My grandsons have little interest in food.  They eat to sustain.  There are much more interesting experiences out there to occupy their busy minds.  It can be frustrating at times for their grandfather, our chef.  No interest in food?  Unfathomable!  I would like to be like a child again.  Open to all that is in front of me.  Finding newness around every corner.   
" Recent studies show that 49% of all SNAP participants are children (age 18 or younger), with almost two-thirds of SNAP children living in single-parent households. In total, 76% of SNAP benefits go towards households with children, 16% go to households with disabled persons, and 9% go to households with senior citizens." http://www.snaptohealth.org/snap/snap-frequently-asked-questions/

I think one of the most important facts I would like people to take away from our experience is that feeding people is the least we can do for others, yet one of the most beneficial.  All the studies that have been done on nutrition and health show how essential it is for growing children to have adequate nutrition.  For pregnant women to have adequate nutrition.  For senior citizens to have adequate nutrition. 
It is not rocket science.  Healthier bodies=healthier minds.  The amount of money that is spent on programs like SNAP can be thought of as more of an investment, than as an expense.  Healthier minds that may one day produce a medicine that will help one of our family members, or a more efficient fuel that will keep our energy going for millenniums, the possibilities are endless.

Frank made a burrito for us this morning and wrapped mine for the rode.  This way I could eat it after I weighed in....he is so thoughtful!!  Filled with eggs, chipotle cream cheese, tomato, chorizo, jalapeños, cilantro and avocado.....mmmmmmmm yummy

Lunch for me was my other half of lunch from yesterday that I saved.  Frank ate SCRAPPY Snap pasta fagioli.

Dinner was a herb baked chicken, a veggie mix of tomatoes, zucchini and red peppers with a bit of onion, garlic and lemon and rosemary, garlic potatoes.
Leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment