Friday, January 25, 2013

SNAP Week 3 Day 6

$2.19 to start today....ending with $2.19

Frank was inspired by me today for our dinner.  After the Greek Spanakopita I made last night from a family recipe, he decided to make my mom's famous Chicken and Spaghetti in the oven.  He asked what it was called and I told him, "Chicken and Spaghetti in the oven, that is just what we have called it for all of my 54 years."  Chicken baked Greek style with lemon, olive oil and oregano rubbed all over.  When chicken is done, take it out of the pan.  To the pan add tomatoes and spaghetti with enough water to keep pasta moist then bake in oven until pasta is tender.
Of course Chef Frank put his spin on it.  He made the pasta this morning before going to work, rolled out about a pound and a half then hung it to dry.  Instead of canned tomatoes, he used some of the marinara that we had earlier in the week.  For some reason he stuck celery and carrot inside the chicken.  Yes, it was delicious!
I know for a fact it tastes just as good the next day.  There are many people out there that do not eat "leftovers".  I have met a few in my life.  They are an enigma to me.  I would actually stop at my parents house, when I was in my 20's and out on my own, to see what they had left over in their refrigerator.  I did the same during my 30's and 40's at my sister's house whenever I would be over there. I don't really know, if people who do not eat leftovers are afraid to, for imaginary health reasons, or they just don't like to eat the same thing a second time.  I have heard both reasons over the years. 
After learning that somewhere around 40% of all food is wasted for one reason or another, I just feel the need to reiterate it.  We are trying to take that to heart here at our house.  Frank is making an effort to create delicious meals that will stretch us throughout the week.  Extra portions are not being gobbled up anymore, we are learning restraint which helps not only our pocketbook, but also our waistlines.  He put 4 servings of lasagna in the freezer for a quick heat up meal.  If you think about single portion frozen dinners costing anywhere from $2.00-$6.00 and then know that our whole 8-9 servings of lasagna cost only $4.00, it makes sense to make your own "frozen food", or as I call them, leftovers. 

This morning Frank was a little fancy with breakfast-Lightly sautéed spinach with tomatoes and cheese, topped with a poached egg on toast.
                                                                            Mine
Frank's

I took "leftover" Spanakopita with side of rice to work today-a friend gave me some yummy beets on the side.

Dinner-Chicken and Pasta in the Oven!
                                                       Frank's Homemade Fettuccini noodles
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment