Wednesday, January 9, 2013

SNAP Week 1 Day 4

Still holding onto $10.45 for the rest of the week!

Since last April, I have been going to Weight Watchers on Wednesday mornings.  Weigh in at 7:15, meeting from 7:30-8:00.....I have lost about 15 lbs. so far....... let's just say my progress is slow, but going in the right direction!  The way we are living on SNAP uses all the ideas of planning, portion control and healthy choices.  Keep in mind, planning and portioning is pretty much forced by the SNAP financial necessity if you want to eat healthy.
Last night Frank and I were talking about the need to incorporate more fruits and veggies into this plan.  We've had some salads, veggies, oranges in the mornings, but not the number of servings that are recommended.  (By the way, I did lose 1.4 lbs. today)
By leaving earlier this morning, I missed what looked like a very delicious breakfast!  Chef Frank sent me off with my lunch bag packed with bread and cheese- to eat after the meeting- left over pozole soup for lunch with side salad and avocado dressing.
Chef Frank made oatmeal with raspberries, poached egg on top of toast that was lightly brushed with garlic and spread with a thin layer of his avocado dressing.
My friend Julie at work said, "I would have skipped WW and stayed home for breakfast!"


 The plan for tonight was corn beef and cabbage with boiled potatoes and a side salad.  Chef Frank was thinking about our conversation about adding more vegetables.  So, he chopped up the cabbage, carrots, celery and then chunked the potatoes adding it all to the corn beef pot, which turned out to be more like a corn beef and cabbage soup.  After I strained out the good stuff and put some smart balance on the potatoes, it almost came up to par to my Irish heritage expectations, almost......  (I did make a face when I saw the carrots and celery in a big pot of liquid floating around with my corn beef)


We did both agree, tomorrow's left over corn beef that he reserved for Ruben sandwiches should be a bit more satisfying......ahhhh, poor Chef Frank.....so I told him, even the greatest baseball players strike out once in a while!
Chef Frank redeemed himself by making a beautiful looking loaf of rye bread for meals tomorrow.


On Hand
$0.25   Raspberries
$0.25   Oatmeal
$0.50

No comments:

Post a Comment