Tuesday, January 15, 2013

SNAP Week 2 Day 3

$37.16 is left for the next 4 days.......

Ok, so who else is cooking out there?

So far we have been able to eat food that we would normally eat, although we have been scaling back proportions, we are now eating actual recommended serving size portions, and planning ahead.  I think that our food choices are not actually being impacted by our finances.  Frank does not agree.  I guess, since he is the one doing all the figuring and planning (which is how he wants it), the impact is much greater on him than on me.....I am the end user.  In fact today he needed to buy a Daikon (a white Asian radish), available in the bin, sold by the pound, he found cut 8-12 inch pieces of Daikon.  Since he did not need that much he just broke one in half, probably something he would not have done if we were not on this journey, but he thought, "Hey, I am saving us a buck"!  ($1.00 is more than 1% of our weekly food budget!)  He did something similar this weekend when he bought the salmon for our salmon sliders.  In the counter were salmon fillets weighing 3-4 pounds, costing $17.00-$18.00.  He went to the display case and asked the person behind the counter if he could have a piece cut.  She said sure, no problem.  She laid out the fillet and he asked her to cut a piece from the thicker end so he could slice for sliders.  He got just a bit less than a pound, but that was all he needed and so instead of spending $17.00 he spent less than $5.00 and we had enough for 2 meals.
As I was processing all of this, I started to think that I might have to rework my theory that our food choices are not being impacted by our finances.  But, no, I am right (which I usually am, everyone that knows me "would mostly" agree).  Our food choices are not being impacted by our finances, Frank is being impacted by our finances!!

This morning my Chef made a frittata for breakfast and enough to take for both of our lunches.  I added a bag of sliced carrots, cucumbers and a slice of bread to my sack.
 

Today, Frank worked later and I was going to be home first.  He sent me this text message: "take out tilapia put in ziplock then soak in water for me please.  Thai tonight".  Yum!  Chef Frank's Thai is filled with lots of veggies and it is a taste treat delight!  He switched it up, instead of putting the veggies over rice he used the already cooked pasta that we had left.  He just heated the pasta in a pan with a bit of sesame oil, green onions and soy sauce.  Tilapia on top made for a fabulous dinner.

Kroger
$1.50 Snow Peas 0.49lb.
$0.98 Daikon 0.65lb.
$1.62 Sweet Potato (1)
$0.79 Green Onion (1 bunch)
$4.89
 

No comments:

Post a Comment